Chicken Burger with juicy chicken patties like my Ukrainian grandma used to make. Grill into a burger or pan fry as small patties and serve naked with quinoa and salad.
No matter what you do, it will be the best chicken burger you ever tried!
My Grandma’s Chicken Patties
This ground chicken burger recipe will knock your family’s socks off! And the best part is that homemade chicken patties are:
- Low in sodium, lean and yet juicy.
- Super easy to make in your blender or food processor.
- Not too delicate for the grill and can be pan fried.
Growing up in Ukraine my grandma made the best smaller size chicken patties. We used to say they are like spitz – highly addictive. That’s why this recipe makes 24. But if you want to make chicken burger patties, just shape them twice bigger.
My absolute favourite way of eating “naked” chicken patties is with whole wheat spaghetti and ketchup. They also taste great cold. My kids love them and I can guarantee yours will too!
Ingredients and Substitutions
This chicken burger recipe contains literally 5 main ingredients. Remember, grandma was cooking. 🙂
- Chicken: I am using 2 lbs of chicken breasts because I always have them. You can save time (not money) and buy ground chicken. Chicken thighs work – not more juicy because grandma used secret ingredient to keep even breast juicy. Keep on reading.:)
- Bread: A slice of bread soaked in water for a few seconds and then squeezed helps to hold the patties. I suspect it also helped to stretch meat further and make them softer. I think you can omit it if you want. Although, if grilling I wouldn’t.
- Egg: Egg is a binder. If you use bread and have an egg allergy or are out of egg, you should be good.
- Onion and garlic: So grated onion is grandma’s secret ingredient – it makes even chicken breast patties juicy, not to mention flavorful. Today we can pulverize onion, garlic, egg and bread in seconds. She would have loved that!
How to Make Ground Chicken Burgers
- Grind chicken: Add cubed chicken in a food processor or high speed blender until it resembles ground chicken. Work in batches and then transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Process egg, onion, garlic, soaked and squeezed bread, salt and pepper until well combined.
- Mix everything together: To the bowl with ground chicken add pulverized mixture of egg, bread and veggies and using your hands, mix well. It will smell heavenly!:)
- Preheat grill or skillet while you are forming patties. They will sizzle as soon as they touch the skillet.
- Form any size patties: Tennis ball – for a burger; somewhere between golf and tennis ball size – for “naked” patty. Then flatten.
- Pan fry or grill for about 4-5 minutes per side. It is time to flip when white edges appear and patty is brown on the bottom. Please note that second and third batches will take less time to cook as the skillet (grill) will be hotter.
We Like to Eat Chicken Patties like This:
For “naked” burger, serve hot ground chicken patties with a side grain plus cucumber tomato salad. Chicken patties also taste very good cold!
If you go for a burger, then use traditional fix ins plus funky ones like mashed avocado (or salsa guacamole) and prepared mustard. OMG!
How to Make Ahead, Reheat and Freeze Chicken Burgers
First of all, cold patties taste amazing! That is when we ate them like spitz. I honestly think also due to the lack of a microwave. You can refrigerate patties for up to 5 days.
To reheat, place on a hot skillet, add a splash of water, cover and simmer for 5 minutes. This way patties heat through and do not dry out like in the oven.
Cooked chicken patties freeze amazing-ly!! Freeze in an airtight container for up to 3 months. Thaw on a counter in under a few hours or in the fridge overnight. You could reheat them from frozen by using same skillet method above, just will take twice longer.
Want to make ahead? You can freeze uncooked chicken patties on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Then transfer into a Ziploc bag and freeze for up to 3 months. Cook from frozen following the recipe plus 5 minutes.
More Healthy Burger Recipes
- Salmon burgers with mango slaw.
- Turkey burger with zucchini instead of breadcrumbs.
- Turkey sliders are low carb lettuce wrapped.